New phone?

Doesn't fit in one of the other categories? Post about it here.
TheDoctor80
New phone?

Post by TheDoctor80 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:32 am

I'm in a bit of pickle. I currently own a iPhone 5. It recently has taken a tumble from my pocket. This has caused the rear glass by the camera to break. Also the front screen is broken so using it is hit or miss.

I'm debating getting a quote to see how much it is to fix or get a new phone.

If I get it fixed for cheap I will and use out the remainder of the contract I have before upgrading. Which is about a year from now.

If I have to get a new phone I am torn on which to get IOS or Android. I have a bunch of apps I have paid for that I love to use. I know that if I switch brands I'll have a lot to repurchase. Which at the moment may not be possible. Money is tight at the moment with me being off work due to a broken thumb and having a car loan. This also brings up the point that I may not be able to afford a new iPhone since the 6 and 6 plus are expensive.

My girlfriend has a Android and she is constantly trying to get me to switch brands anyways.

Has anyone made the switch and how did you feel about it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott the Hockey Guy

Re: New phone?

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:33 pm

My GF has a Samsung Galaxy and she LOVES it, I know a few other people who have it too....

give me a few days on this....I just ordered my BB Classic and I'm going crazy waiting for it to come in!!!

TheDoctor80

Post by TheDoctor80 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:11 am

My GF also has a Samsung Galaxy. Which she loves. My biggest concern is trying to figure out doing the simple things I am used to doing on my iPhone on an Android. Also the concern of buying my favourite apps all over again. Ive yet to do major price comparing for apps but the one I did was more expensive on Android. I'm hoping that this isn't true of all the apps.

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:21 pm

Heh....never thought of that....but then again, I reduse to download apps I gotta pay for.....it's just my nature......

TheDoctor80

Post by TheDoctor80 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:07 pm

I paid for a handful that I use to the full potential so it warranted the cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aset

Post by Aset » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:43 pm

If you do decide to go ANdroid, I would recommend the Nexus 6. It's the Google phone so always current with the kernel updates. Samsung is at least 2 behind right now. It also is base Android so it functions the way it was intended instead of putting someone's weird OS on top of it.
Jeannie
Fire and Blood
http://tyrionslanding.com

TheDoctor80

Post by TheDoctor80 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:27 pm

I'll keep this all in mind my phone would cost too much to fix. A new one will be the solution.

Everybody be cool. You be cool.

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:22 pm

One week into my BB Classic and so far pretty awesome.....it still is too touch-screen-tastic for me, but that's my problem :p

the only thing I don't like about it is the ringtone for texts and emails cuts off after 10 seconds and it doesn't let me customize it per contact *grumble* (90% of my phone use is text/email and I like knowing without looking)

GF said it runs almost exactly like her galaxy but with a keyboard :D

TheDoctor80

Post by TheDoctor80 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:15 am

I ended up bitting the bullet today and getting a Samsung galaxy s5. So far I like it. Which podcast app does anyone recommend?

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:20 pm

Welcome to Android! I made the switch a year or so ago because I wanted to tinker more - and I've never looked back. I have to admit I bought more apps without question my first couple months of having it than I did my entire iOS time... I just felt that some of them justified the money more. For example, Wifi File Transfer Pro, allows me to use a file-manager web interface to upload/download from my phone. I always listen to my podcasts once before posting them (just to make sure I haven't missed any edit points) and this used to take FOREVER to sync through iTunes one file, this takes just a minute - without plugging in my phone.

Podcast app wise- Chris turned me onto BeyondPod. I tried a bunch of others and I really like it. They did a major interface change last year and it feels a lot less clunky now. Just make sure if you install it you take a few minutes to look through the general settings first. I believe by default downloading files via mobile data is enabled.

Also if you didn't know, there is a return-period window for apps - I think 14 minutes. If you buy an app, you can go back into the app's listing on Google Play and uninstall/refund within the time. Pretty cool, eh?

I also recommend SwiftKey as the keyboard. You can tie it to you gmail so that the "learned data" is backuped up (and then if you get another Android device synced).