Star Trek: Beyond

Just see a movie recently? Rewatch a film? Talk about it here!
Scott the Hockey Guy
Star Trek: Beyond

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:19 pm

It's such a weird thing with the "alternate" Trek universe, they nail all the characters, the story is always decent.....but yet it's always missing a true "Star Trek" feel (usually because these movies are too fast paced and not as cerebral as old Trek shows and movies).....this movie was a LOT of fun and we finally got to see tons of McCoy (which was sorely missing in the first two), especially Spock and Bones' banterings, which were awesome.....and we got a LOT of nods to the Enterprise show (which is the only one that exists in this continuity), they did a fabulous job of honoring Nimoy in the movie too, but it still didn't feel like "Star Trek"....i still loved it though, and in all irony they did more justice to Enterprise then the Enterprise writers did :p

Anyone else seen it yet?

Starsaber

Re: Star Trek: Beyond

Post by Starsaber » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:32 pm

Scott the Hockey Guy wrote:It's such a weird thing with the "alternate" Trek universe, they nail all the characters, the story is always decent.....but yet it's always missing a true "Star Trek" feel (usually because these movies are too fast paced and not as cerebral as old Trek shows and movies).....this movie was a LOT of fun and we finally got to see tons of McCoy (which was sorely missing in the first two), especially Spock and Bones' banterings, which were awesome.....and we got a LOT of nods to the Enterprise show (which is the only one that exists in this continuity), they did a fabulous job of honoring Nimoy in the movie too, but it still didn't feel like "Star Trek"....i still loved it though, and in all irony they did more justice to Enterprise then the Enterprise writers did :p

Anyone else seen it yet?
Yeah, and I more or less agree with you. I also appreciated how much Chekov had to do, especially since this was his last appearance. And the fact that they updated the credits to include a tribute to him (I thought there might not have been enough time left to add that).

I also like how the homages to the other shows were a bit more... subtle than the big ones in Into Darkness.

Tali's aunt being the commander of the starbase was a bit distracting during her scenes with Kirk, but they did help with establishing the theme of the movie.
Consultant Black Adam of Legends of SHIELD

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:04 pm

I didn't catch that part....we got caught up with Parkman from Heroes being the guy in charge with ops and .....we distract easy :p

I'm also glad it was a new story that took place after the "three years of the TV show" and they did some new missions and characters, this might have been the best of the three in the reboot series

and now Capt Kirk gets to knock boots with Wonder Woman....in any universe Kirk gets all the chicks :)

Starsaber

Post by Starsaber » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:30 pm

Scott the Hockey Guy wrote: and now Capt Kirk gets to knock boots with Wonder Woman....in any universe Kirk gets all the chicks :)
True, but it's his dad that got to make out with Luke Skywalker's mom. ;)
Consultant Black Adam of Legends of SHIELD