Dr. Who folk???

For everything to do with Doctor Who.
Scott the Hockey Guy
Dr. Who folk???

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:52 pm

Any of them out there???
Anyone else LOVING this season like I am??

Just want to kick start some Who talk in here.....

anyone who's been curious about the show and want a newbie's guide to Who?? I could write one up over the weekend....this season has just been too awesome to let it idly slide through time and space without some convo in here!

Jay

Re: Dr. Who folk???

Post by Jay » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:36 pm

My thoughts on this series are well documented thus far. But I love Capaldi. While Tennant and T. Baker hold my number 1 and 2 spots respectively, Capaldi has a commanding lead for #3. And the stories have been given much more attention this time around. So over all, this series has been awesome.

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:41 pm

Jay wrote:My thoughts on this series are well documented thus far. But I love Capaldi. While Tennant and T. Baker hold my number 1 and 2 spots respectively, Capaldi has a commanding lead for #3. And the stories have been given much more attention this time around. So over all, this series has been awesome.
Glad you agree....this is my (well our with the GF on the Who-Train too now) first season watching it as it happens....and I absolutely LOVE every last bit of it so far!!! I've only seen 5 Doctors (well 6 if you count the War Doctor) (9-12 and I've been watching the very first season of Hartnell) and so far Capaldi very quickly has become my favorite!!! My only complaint is the season is almost over!

stargatepioneer

Post by stargatepioneer » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:07 pm

I've enjoyed Clara since she first showed up. I know there is considerable resistance to how she was portrayed and/or written in Season 7B but I found her a refreshing companion following Amy - who I never seemed to identify with. I liked The Impossible Girl storyline. But I'm REALLY enjoying her this season as well. In fact, I think that she very well be close to my favorite "New Who" companion next to Doctor Donna. (Interestingly enough we know have Doctor Oswald as well in a different context). However, Clara's choices recently have aligned her more towards the Doctor and away from being human and I might start to have problems with that. We'll see where this goes.

Now, Capaldi is playing a great Doctor but I find it incredible difficult to identify with him. Like Jay I have Tennet and Baker as my top two so at most Capaldi would be number 3 on my list, but I think he'll be lower than that if this trend continues.

The storylines this season? PHENOMINAL. This is what I had hoped Season 7B would have been. I have no idea why the overall change happened but I am enjoying it. And I'm enjoying listening to Gallifrey Public Radio the next week following the episode (as always).

In the end? It's just incredible captivating, entertaining and fun. It keeps me interested. That's all I need.

~StarPi

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:41 pm

A lot of 7B to me felt like Filler episodes....nothing really happened....here's this Clara person.....don't worry we'll get to her....my God they fixed that now!!
(go figure Donna and Martha were my least two favorites....I'm enjoying Donna more on the re-watches than I did first time)

I guess why people don't like....or maybe embrace is better..... Capaldi....he doesn't seem to have a definitive personality.... Eccelston was the bitter post-war grouch with a heart..... Tennant was the slightly diva fan-boy.....Smith was the entertaining man child who never grew up....Capaldi seems to just show flashes of his predecessors but not his "own way" of doing things...

I've just started on the podcasts too...I've commented a few times on the FB page too.....but yes....please...more of this season!

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:23 pm

Scott, you could say that every actor in the new series is just a rehash of older Doctors. Eccleston was clearly derivative of Colin Baker, Tennant was primarily Tom Baker with Davison for flavor, and Smith was so modeled after Troughton that I'm surprised he didn't have a recorder.

Part of the 12th Doctor's story is trying to figure out who he is, so it makes sense that his character isn't 100% fully formed. Here is a guy who never expected to exist, he was supposed to die on Trenzalore. So he's not only dealing with the new face and personality deal, but the fact that he has a whole new (at least) 13 lifetimes ahead of him. So he is starting to re-evaluate everything that came before, all of the choices he made that he thought he would never have the time (no pun intended) to revisit.

I love the character he's playing and the fact that he isn't "user friendly" in this version. Of course that's my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Jay, I'm with you on that....he's the one Doctor so far who has realized "I can't save everyone, let me focus on what I can do instead of raging on what I can't"...last episode NAILED that when Clara had to do the same thing, it's hard to say after only 3/4 a season, but Capaldi is so damned brilliant at what he's doing he's fast becoming my favorite doctor (again I admit I'm running from a limited pool here)

one thing that bothers the hell out of me though....at the end of the 50th Anniversary Special, Matt Smith said his goal in life was to find Gallifrey and he never even looked for it (at least on TV)....that's a pretty big potential story arc to throw out there and never even try to pursue....I suppose you can say his priorities changed post-regeneration....but I'd love to see a Search for Gallifrey season myself.....

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:55 pm

Scott the Hockey Guy wrote:at the end of the 50th Anniversary Special, Matt Smith said his goal in life was to find Gallifrey and he never even looked for it (at least on TV)....that's a pretty big potential story arc to throw out there and never even try to pursue....
Did you see the Christmas special. He "found" Gallifrey, but he realized the danger in bringing them back without a LOT of preparation. Also, people get nostalgic when they get old. He thought he was about to die, so of course he was thinking of home. Once he got a reset, he remembered that Timelords are typically assholes.

But the main thing is that this is Capaldi's first series as the Doctor, and with a Doctor as different from what newvians have known, you want to give him a chance to prove himself. You don't want what is arguably one of the most dynamic Doctors of the new series being upstaged by the search for Gallifrey. I'm sure Moffat will pick that thread up again, but I'm ok with the pause so that I can get to know this Doctor better

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:27 pm

Damn...that's a good point....I do need to rewatch the last Christmas Episode too.....I more took the Timelords one-off....so to speak....as the way to push the plot along and let him regenerate more than an actual..."Hey...he did find them" moment

He's not totally new to newvians (I kinda like that).... Eccelston had some snarl to his character too (though through his own doing, he's been as erased from the Who Universe as possible)...I do think that's what appeals him to me so....and all the awesome stories being told in each episode as well!

I did actually use a Capaldi line on my GF last week "you're my carer....you care so I don't have to!" (I was annoyed about some hockey mishap I had...I forget what now)...it took her five minutes to catch the reference :D

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:00 pm

Wooooo, a podcast mention.....takes me back to my on-line hockey recapping days!!!

This was the first episode all season I didn't feel was an out of the park home run...but it had some good points

Clara "getting the Doctor" and how he sees things...and Danny almost playing the companion role of going "hey what about the lil people"
I thought the kids were well portrayed and did a classic job of interacting with Grumpy Ol'Doc

A shred of light on the Missy character.....to me she HAS to be a Time Lord (which would nicely tie into the Christmas Episode we talked about being left hanging)....or maybe even the TARDIS itself....it's just how the hell else is she watching on her tablet what the Doctor and Clara are doing from almost like a TARDIS-cam view and perspective....only one more week of guessing to go!

I like you guys didn't much like the magic trees story, and it was a very forgettable show.....and dammit Danny show a shred of a backbone...geesh.......