Introductions

Looking to organize a meetup with your fellow geeks? Want to setup an event with the other members? Maybe you just want to organize a rewatch. Do it here!
apelsinen
Re: Introductions

Post by apelsinen » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:29 pm

Hi, I am kind of new here, i was looking for a new forum to join on Tapatalk and found this place.

So, I'm apelsinen (The Orange in swedish, the nick comes from an urban legend about a man who uses drugs once and lives the rest of his life believing that he's an orange).

I live in Sweden, but both my parents are from Finland originally. I am first and foremost a father to my son, secondly a geek which I will talk about later, and lastly a musician... a bassplayer to be exact.

I'm not super geeky, or that depends on perspective... I enjoy fantasy and sci/fi, anime, cartoons like Avatar (tlab/tlok), Marvel/DC, and various tv-shows such as Doctor Who, Stargate, Game of Thrones, and most of the shows "you just must watch", except for Star Trek... I never got into it, it's not a bad show, just not for me. But I don't go to expos, dress up in my fandoms, collect various collectibles or even posters. I don't immerse myself totally of each world I enjoy and discuss plotholes/theories/fanfiction and the ilk.

I prefer to sit back and watch and read and some light discussion on what happened in the latest episode or chapter.

I also am too stupid for physics, math and biology, so science is not something for me, or rather i was just not interested enough in school, where I dabbled in webdesign and programming, but it made me want to rip my hair out, so I'm staying away from that.

When i'm not spending time with my son or girlfriend, i play bass in a band, we arent good enough for your ears, trust me.

So... TL;DR
Geek from Sweden, i like cool stuff. Kthxbye!

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:42 am

Welcome to the forum and glad you found us through tapatalk. star trek has always been a part of my geekdom so I have to ask, what didn't you like about it? I always hearing about why people couldn't get into it and their perspective (I've known a lot of folks like that over the years). Welcome to the site.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:43 am

Ps. What sort of music does your band play?

apelsinen

Re: Sv: Introductions

Post by apelsinen » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:40 am

Stephen wrote:Welcome to the forum and glad you found us through tapatalk. star trek has always been a part of my geekdom so I have to ask, what didn't you like about it? I always hearing about why people couldn't get into it and their perspective (I've known a lot of folks like that over the years). Welcome to the site.
Really? Nothing, I just cant stick to it. I have liked some episodes, and I should enjoy the series as a whole, it has about everything I want in a science fiction series. But it just isn't for me.

We play some kind of metal, with various influenses, some of my favourite riffs are very groovy, and then we mash out in total oblivion, We are planning on making an EP within the year, we just need to write some more songs and find a second guitarist.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:05 am

Ahh.. I've always love the shows (although I barely tolerate original series)

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:31 pm

I'm new here too.....I just found out about this place talking about the demise of my former Sci-Fi Forum/outlet and was referred here through a Twitter inquiry

it's hard to balance a life of hockey excess (I'm in five leagues in the summer) and a life of sci-fi excess too (now me and my GF are watching: Arrow (we're still on Season 1), Agents of SHIELD, Defiance (we haven't finished Season 2), Dr Who (we started on Netflix in January and now we're up to date....still getting used to the dang commercials!), and looking much forward to Gotham and the Flash....nice to see DC FINALLY getting with it again!!!

Through the powers of Netflix I've rewatched all of Sliders, and all the Star Trek shows (I'll take crap for it, but Next Gen was my least favorite)....and I'm looking forward to just jumping in and getting back to it on here!!!

HI EVERYONE!!!!

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:23 am

Hi Scott and welcome to the forum. You've got a great balance of Geekyness you're watching. In regard to Arrow, season 2 kicks season 1s ass. It is awesome.

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:48 am

Stephen wrote:Hi Scott and welcome to the forum. You've got a great balance of Geekyness you're watching. In regard to Arrow, season 2 kicks season 1s ass. It is awesome.
I keep hearing this, once we get caught up on my post-vacation DVR stuff (mostly Defiance)...we'll jump back into Arrow on Netflix, she's seen Season 2 but not Season 1 so we've been watching it together (which did slow me down or I'd probably be caught up already....heh!)....Season 1 is pretty good though.....I did jump up and yell CAPT JACK!!! when Barrowman debuted.....she was like...DAMN HE GOT OLD....ha!!

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:20 pm

Hahaha Yea I really liked season one anyway and then during the season finale I got super excited about the show. Then with season two I just went "season 1 what?" lol

Sithwitch

Post by Sithwitch » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:39 pm

It's about time I get off my ass and post here, considering that my podcast is here and all.

I'm Lauren, I cohost Legends of S.H.I.E.L.D., and I'm a huge geek/nerd. Except I'm actually tiny. But I make up for it with a lot of enthusiasm. I'm pretty easily found on Twitter and Tumblr (sithwitch on the one, sithwitch13 on the other) and I can be very easily persuaded to talk about geeky things of all persuasions at the slightest provocation.

Also I swear a lot more than you would think if you only know me from Twitter and the podcast. Anyone who has met me IRL or remembers me from Quantum Tavern can attest to that. But my mom follows me on Twitter, so I've kept that at about PG-13 for her sake.