5 surgeries later.

Doesn't fit in one of the other categories? Post about it here.
TheDoctor80
5 surgeries later.

Post by TheDoctor80 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:45 am

Well it's been since Jan 15th 2015 that I broke my thumb. Since then I've been off work since the 22nd of Jan. Now today I just had my 5th surgery. A big one for me. In my 34 years up till now, I have never broken a bone, needed stiches, or had to be put under for surgery. I've been doing a lot of soul searching. Figuring out who I an as a person without the job to label me. In the end of course I know I am a geek. I'm proud to be one. From the first time in grade school watching TNG, to actually starting a Star Trek club in middle school years, to now. Where I have this forum. I do still miss GWC, but I hope to find a new home here. I'm also very lucky to have found the love of my life. After I separated from my ex two years ago I was sure I would remain single. Fate was however on my side the day an app glitch sent a blank message to a girl named ZombieLVR from my name ghost. That was the start of a wonderful online thing. The day I actually met her in person I knew. I was smitten. I one day hope to marry her. Provided I don't mess up lol..

Anyways these are just somethings I am thankful for in my life. I wanted to share because I consider all of you on here friends.

Thanks for reading.

Live long and prosper.

Scott the Hockey Guy

Re: 5 surgeries later.

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:11 pm

I know the feeling there.....18 months ago when I got clipped in a floor hockey game and I was hobbling around the bar for football that day on one leg (it was a Sunday, my doctor was closed and I figured I had a choice....sit at home and watch football and suffer....or go to the bar...suffer....watch more football and maybe get some pity drinks out of it, so what the hell ;) ).....and I was kinda terrified under it all, "was this my last hockey game? how long will I recover? I just spent five years getting myself to this level, and I'm not letting that dickhead who made a lazy play on me take it all away from me"....all that kinda stuff.....needless to say, a knee drian, thanksgiving time surgery, and a recovery that might go down in the medical books for a record time recovery from three ligament tears.....a full year after my rehab finished I'm back in the best hockey playing level of my life....just keep at it....do everything they tell you to do in rehab (I did and then on off days I did double the weights at the gym on my own)

....and I can relate to random meetings of the right person....I met Jamie because her husband screwed up her laptop.....and two years later :D (sadly this isn't even CLOSE to my most bizarre story of meeting a woman)....least her twins adore me too :D

and I agree with you in the hopes that this place can fill that void left by GWC (glad I made that meet up in 2013 at least)....a forum is only as good as its posters, so we're in good shape here!!!

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:13 pm

Holy cow, you guys got some interested recovery stories -- all I got is a hernia repair that still bothers me 2 years later. Sorry to hear about the 5 surgeries, is there any signs of it being right this time?

As for the forum - I hope we can build a community here too. While I was never really a part of the GWC community (I think I only made a couple posts, never made it to a meetup) I have helped run a couple fairly successful forums over the years and I always look back at them fondly. I think a lot of people's initial reasons for not coming to a forum is because they feel social media has replaced them. I think one area this theory falls apart is because of the split of where people like to engage their contact. Looking at the Podcast Network for example, I know that Unqualified Gamers is VERY successful on Google Plus, WalkingtheWalkingDead does not have one. I also see how some of the members are extremely interactive on twitter, yet others have made statements that twitter is "over". It seems like just a couple years ago many people were active on many of the main-media, but I personally feel that it's fractured now -- which is why I think Forums still have a great place -- a central community that doesn't need a tie to a social media account.

I'm really enjoying the stories we're exchanging now, and thank you to everyone who is a part of this community and I hope our chats continue to build a welcoming place for others to participate.

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:10 pm

Oh that was the short version of my recovery :lol:

I'll have to type the whole thing out later tonight....it was quite the story (Jamie was quite jealous she had her own knee problems and to see me on the ice ten days after surgery was horrifying and aggrivating to her all in one moment :).....I'm good at bringing that out of her :p )

Usually most of the forums I tend to browse are sports-related, trades, all the NHL and football stuff I follow, as well as co-ordinating my own leagues.....my facebook sports rants are quite amusing, be it full of "Colorful Metaphors" so to speak

My issue with Twitter is I can tell a great story about my hockey game and not worry about cramming it down to a 150 or less on Facebook and it seems silly to re-post (and edit) it on there.....but that kinda fits me....I'm too sporty for a good chunk of my geeky friends, I'm too geeky for my teammates (and older usually :p )....I'm a weird mix of it all and it's a hard thing to find a place that reflects that balance of the two I have in my life.... I'm all for opening the flodgates here!

TheDoctor80

Post by TheDoctor80 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:23 pm

Let the floodgates open. We're here to enjoy the things we like and have in common. We are here to enjoy life. We should have a place to be us. Give our opinions, share our thoughts. Social media comes and goes. I fell off the twitter wagon and am finding it difficult to get back on. It's hard to reconnect.

Live long and prosper.

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:32 pm

I'm good with that....hey why not a random thoughts thread/forum??

Just for stuff like that....or this....

Lord knows I could share my "customers are idiots" stories people love on facebook :D

beats me mentioning kicking a goal into an empty net this morning running my ass off to stop the 2 on none with the goalie-less net since the ball rolled off both feet and got kicked in the damn net in some inhuman form of unfair phyiscs!

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:32 am

I agree, let the flood gates open! I originally created GG as a place for geeks to geek out, so I encourage everyone to post here :)

As for the random thoughts thread, feel free to start it in general.. I'm OK with that and would love to hear the random customer stories Hahaha.

Also, feel free to talk sports here too.. There's a general forum for a reason... Just because we are geeks doesn't mean we don't like other stuff too, right? I sit here in my Pats shirt as we speak.

I've got some folks over but if you guys don't beat me to it, I'll start the random thoughts thread later.. A great idea!

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:19 pm

Its funny I watch the NHL all the time but I don't get into it as much as I used (no not because the Devils suck now I'm ok with that, but I'm playing 2-6 times a week and I'm just to dang tired after the late night game times).....but I still abuse my Center Ice as much as I can.....but I do have an EPIC FAIL floor hockey story from yesterday morning:

....we're down by 2 with like 45 seconds left, our goalie leaves the net and joins the play (hey it was an end of season scrimmage, those get wacky in our league....this is the same league last year I had to play goal in my forward gear because our normal goalie was a half hour late and I didn't have time to get my stuff, when the goalie DID come the ref was like "dude you're a better goalie than him in forward pads why did you leave the net!!" I told him because I wanted to score goals :D ) .....we lose the ball and one guy on their team floats it down two on none, empty net.....i go "aw shit" and TAKE OFF to make a play....i actually win the race to cut off the play and the centering pass in front, but in my full speed dash to do so, the ball bounces four times off my feet and ends up in the fucking net anyway......least I scored the tying goal in the 2nd scrimmage game at the end of the second to atone for my defensice atrocity! (it was a wicked dropping slider shot from all the way across the gym that found its way through EVERYONE and under the goalie's arm pit for extra epic effect!)

But man it sucks when you bust your ass on a play and it still ends up in the net... *grrrr*

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:15 pm

That sucks about the goal, but sounds like you have a ton of fun in your league. I'd love to have seen you in your forward gear as a goalie.. Must have been hilarious!

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:18 pm

OK, so here's the thread too.. viewtopic.php?t=394