the Last Jedi......

Just see a movie recently? Rewatch a film? Talk about it here!
Scott the Hockey Guy
the Last Jedi......

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:51 am

.....aka Star Wars the reboot.....wow....just WOW.....so much I want to say....but so much I won't say to give others the time to see and process....but wanted to put this here for when everyone else is caught up and ready to discuss this.......dammmnnnnn

TheDoctor80

Re: the Last Jedi......

Post by TheDoctor80 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:06 am

Ah yeah WOW. That was so awesome. A lot of the standard Star Wars moulds were broken. The fact it took place in a contained time period. The character growth. I'm so impressed and want more of it. Let the discussio commence.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:52 pm

I haven't had a chance to see it again yet....long-ass movie and all...the Leia spacewalk scene still annoys me though....you have established and long running rules of what the force can and CAN NOT do and I didn't like the stretching of the powers and rules for effect....continuity is EVERYTHING in movies like this

I do like that Darth Emo.....errrr Kylo.....is becoming the anti-Vader and destined to be the big bad no matter how unready for it he truly is.....

Snoke ain't dead either....

I did like the BSG feel of the rag-tag rebel fleet down to it's very last few souls....I do wonder how they will cover Leia's real life death

I didn't mind Broken Luke Skywalker....it did kinda make sense in the story they told and now that he is the Obi-Wan in this story, it is a shame we never did get to see him at his peak....but that he was wise enough to realize the failing of the Jedi and their teachings and where they went soooo wrong, though like Obi-Wan he's footing too much guilt for Darth Emo's turn....that was all on Snoke....it seems

I also wish they had mapped out the whole trilogy instead of "passing the baton" like they are doing for 7 8 and 9....it would have made a more coherent story

now to see this damn thing again....eventually.......

TheDoctor80

Post by TheDoctor80 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:03 pm

Damn the movie is long. I haven't seen it again because of length...... I will say I did like seeing Leia use the force in more than just sensing things but the space walk was a bit well off.. Although I can forgive it a bit if I think she pulled the ship to her not the other way around.. Plus we do know Jedi can hold their breath a long time, (a side effect from watching Phantom Menace recently).

Kylo should just be called Darth Whinny Baby... He's not going to be Vadar for sure he will be something different. He might be the big bad of the third. Who knows. I just feel sorry for Hux who now has to work with the most irritable emo in the universe.

I am okay with Rey being from no where really, no ties to a Skywalker or anything. They are at least showing that the force is a balanced thing there is light and dark and they must exist together.

Snoke well no probably not dead. If he is oh well no loss no gain. JJ set up a mystery that the new director didn't care about.

Having never seen BSG yet, (I know I know hand over the geek card), I still got the rag-tag feel. It shows that all it takes is the right people in the right place to start something huge. I am not sure how they will handle Leia's real life death but it better be something classy.

Broken Luke worked so well... It was more than I expected. I am so glad they didn't go fully Obi-Wan. I say this because when Obi-Wan was on Tattoine he at least had some hope in knowing Luke and Leia were born, and he wasn't as broken. Luke cutting himself off from the force, and losing hope that the Jedi were even a force of good in the universe was perfectly done. I to wish we would have gotten to see one big peak aspect of Luke. But in away we did see just how powerful he is by force projecting himself who knows how many light years away. He did see where the Jedi failed and it makes sense. One is neither good nor bad but a combination of both, and shutting down emotions and fearing them is not the way to go.... He does hold guilt and I can see why. It was his own nephew he tried to kill... Although Snoke did do a great job of twisting Ben into Kylo.

I think they should have had 7-9 mapped out a bit better. At least some important points. The passing of the baton while it worked in the original trilogy didn't work as well in this one. Fans were expecting too much and wanted too much. We've been waiting well since the 80's really for more great Star Wars. While the prequels aren't all horrible they were lacking something. Now that we have 2 of the new trilogy what happens next in 9 is it going to be this big grand space opera to close out the Skywalker line.

I do wish to see it again but doubt I will until it is out on streaming. I'm also unsure if I want to buy it right away on blue-ray or wait until 7-9 are out. I just got the two, sets of the original and prequel trilogies, and am worried I will have to get another box set.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:01 pm

I overall enjoyed this movie and thought it was far better than TFA. I've watched TFA four or five times now and disliked it more each time. I saw TLJ twice and found more to like in my second watch.

I know a lot of people didn't like what they did with Luke, but to me - when you break it down - this is how he HAD TO BE. He decided to cut himself off from the force AND everything else. He had no way to go back. That X-Wing in the water scene was a underrated. It showed that if he changed his mind, he had no way to go back. This is how sure he was that he had to isolate himself for the rest of his life.

The concept that some random girl could come in and make him come back, would have been completely opposite of this decision and would have made me question his character. It was a life-long decision her made because he believed it. My first thoughts on Yoda was that it was a gimmick, but then I quickly realized that NO - a force ghost was the ONLY thing that made sense to have him change his mind on helping. He needed to hear it from a mentor.

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Holy crap someone else spoke :D

I was OK with the Luke storyline....old....broken....and kinda done with everything.....I was kinda hoping he was gonna pull a Yoda and lift the X-Wing out of the drink....a throwback to Empire Strikes Back....and people forget that defeated Jedi's who screwed up and couldn't save the galaxy go into hiding...that's what they do!

I did like the less "fan service" in this movie....it was less over-bloated fan fic than Force Awakens was....but I do think they should have collaborated and planned out the whole series together and we wouldn't get stuff like Snoke just being a random nothing that we don't find a damn thing about, the lack of continuity between the two kinda shows.....

TheDoctor80

Post by TheDoctor80 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:09 pm

I have a feeling when I get to watch TFA and TLF again I will be more impressed by TLJ. I haven't had time to watch either of these since the theatrical viewing, working two jobs, wedding planning and stuff gets in the way. I do plan on watching soon though. I won't be purchasing them though until the trilogy is complete and the 3 disc set is released, or 9 disc if I upgrade to 4K.

Luke's story ended the only way it could, an old Jedi holding on to old ways. I thought the X-Wing could have been used but it's been underwater for so long it might not work again.

TFA was a lot of fan-service but after the long wait between and Disney wanting to go hey we care, it was to be expected. They didn't pay $4billion for a property they were not going to show some fan love to.

I do wish all 3 stories would have been written with input from all the directors to make it one epic story. But who knows what was really planned in the background we don't know about. All in all I can't wait to see where this goes.

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:51 pm

I've seen it three times now and I feel like I did after the Force Awakens......I think we're gonna need to see how all three play out before we properly judge these movies....just like the Prequels were and Revenge of the Sith filled in ALL the holes....this one also has the 500 pound gorilla and the Ghost of Carrie Fisher to deal with as well now....

I do feel good about the Han Solo movie coming....but it seems most of the viewing public has lost all it's good faith in Darth Mickey......

TheDoctor80

Post by TheDoctor80 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:53 pm

I need to watch both of these again to see which I like better. I really wanted the soundtracks on vinyl but I'm going to wait and hopefully they will put the 9 movie set out. I should start saving now lol.