Season 3.5

Talk about The CW's Arrow!
Scott the Hockey Guy
Season 3.5

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:25 pm

hey all!!! Good to see all the shows we know and love are back in action!! (well except Dr Who :p )

While I enjoyed the start of the second half of the season and I thought all the supporting characters did awesome this week....did anyone feel like they hurried too fast to have the whole team fall apart... Felicity melt down....twice....and have Oliver breathe back to life at the end.... just a LITTLE bit too fast??? I really thought they coulda stretched this out an episode or two....hell we had a whole year without a Superman....we could live a few weeks without Oliver Queen??

(my GF heavily disagreed with me on this....but we do love to squabble like that so its all good!)

Stephen

Re: Season 3.5

Post by Stephen » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:24 pm

Hey Scott,

I have to say that I felt that the first episode back moved too quick, but I really liked the second episode pacing better. I feel like they took a lot of the events that could have been done in the second episode and put them into the first. With that said, I'm really enjoying how Laurel is being handed. I like that she has her moments of kicking-ass, only to seconds later be schooled - and really this is the way it should be. Roy is clearly holding things together, but she's acting as backup (if that), and for her lack of training that's the way it really should be.

With all of that said, the biggest issue I had was that they shouldn't have made Oliver's death so dramatic. I understand we have to use our imagination (especially since this is the same universe as The Flash), however, overall Arrow has had the more down to earth feel, and a sword through him was ridiculous for him to come back so quick. I don't think anyone thought he was going to be killed off, so it seemed excessive to try to make him look so dead only to bring him back the next episode.

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:49 pm

Yeah, that's what I was looking for....bringing him back so damned fast (how much time had passed anyway...not even a week right?)....it seemed to take away from the epic and legendary build-up not to mention the month of agonizing over how they'd bring him back....and it was like they pushed a mini-reset button and said "hey that's that!!", not like he wasn't still in Flashbacks and all, and this totally takes away from the rise of the ATOM and what the team was doing without him

Good point on Lauriel (and was a nice touch to hear her first name is ACTUALLY "Dinah" #continuity! ), and I do kinda like seeing her get her ass kicked like the sorta trained rookie she is.....

and now we know he's back next week....and the Felicity is gonna hit the fan, eh?

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:36 pm

What did you think of the return? While there seemed to be a bit of a disconnect between him limping onto a car and then suddenly being able to get back in action, I really loved the way he just gets back into town and goes right to the fight... and saves the day. I loved that they set it up so we just see his back and a minute or so goes by before we see his face. We all knew it was him, but I just felt it was a good scene.

I thought it was also really funny how Lance knew who Arsenal was and the comment of "Are we just drawing names out of a hat now?"

A great episode all around.

TheDoctor80

Post by TheDoctor80 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:49 pm

Lances line about the red hoodie and extra leather stole the show for me. Best line hands down. Do you think he knows Oliver is Arrow and is just not saying?

Oliver would go back into the fight as soon as could. Damaged or not.

Malcolm not killing Brick was a good touch. Shows he still has some humanity. But not enough to be redeemed fully.

I'm so glad Felicity was pissed at Oliver for wanting to train with Malcolm. Also that she isn't a love struck girl that will blindly follow a guy. She makes has her own opinions. This fall out will be the excuse to help Ray more though.

How long till Captain Lance confronts Laurel about Sara?

Everybody be cool. You be cool.

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:16 pm

Lance isn't an idiot.....I'm sure he knows just like Jim Gordon has a pretty good idea who Batman is, but respects him hiding behind the mask and his reasons why and leaves it there, it did seem odd for him to call out Roy for it....just can't respect a good sidekick I suppose!!!

At least Malcolm has the right motivations now, but there's still a throwdown with him and Oliver coming (or Oliver knows he's gonna need the help when the League comes a-knockin again)

I think the hurt and shock outweighed the love....not to mention a trust bubble seems like it got popped.....

Lance has no reason to think Laurel isn't being duped by "Fake Sara" too though

TheDoctor80

Post by TheDoctor80 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:05 pm

I do think its a respect thing and it will stay that way until Lance wants answers. Or until Laurel is put in danger. Roy getting called out was fun. I liked that if happened.

Malcolm did have some of the right motivation. There has to be another tussle between the two before the league come a-knocking. It will be interesting to see how the training goes.

Trust has so been lost between Felicity and Oliver. She doesn't want to see Oliver give up more of his soul.

True Lance doesn't know Laurel isn't being duped as well. But she's the only one who supposedly has contact with Sara.

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:45 pm

Its amazing how Arrow has that perfect talent to write a show that just gets messier and messier for the remaining characters, Thea, Capt Lance, Laurel, Oliver, Felcitiy and Malcolm all look like they have messy, unpleasant endings to their current storylines....

wonder how many of them won't make it out of the season alive.....

TheDoctor80

Post by TheDoctor80 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:12 pm

A lot happened in one episode. Where to begin?

Sara coming back as a drug induced hallucination. Until Laurel did the whole accepting you aren't Sara and can't be Sara thing. The shot of a normal Sara giving a send off was a nice touch.

I like that Captain Lance figured it was Laurel in the wig after the convo with Sin.

Rory and the others stood up to Oliver after he yelled at Thea. Felicity really bit back. Although I'm a bit disappointed she wasn't more furious with Oliver throughout the episode.

Malcolm's deception is slowly being revealed, and Thea doesn't trust him anymore.

Although she doesn't always need trust to sleep with someone. Hence Chase. Had she not been trained she would have surely drank the poison. She stood her ground well. When she faulted who was there Rory first and foremost. Malcolm also showed to save her. Then well Chase offed himself.

Thea being let in on the secret and not over reacting and accepting it was good. The line about the lame excuses was funny.

Back to the island at the end for training. But not before a Oliver pep talk of sorts.

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:23 pm

I love the irony in the present time being on the Island and now the flashbacks being in Starling....that's a nice touch....also get the feeling there's gonna be a jailbreak or a reveal of one on the island too

the whole "it's not just YOUR quest anymore" was nicely done....and long needed, I think Felicity's anger is mixed in with all the other emotions and she's kinda drowning in them....

I'm glad the lame subplot with the hipster singer is over with....wasn't a big fan of him and his annoyance.....good to see Thea overrartes her skills like Laurel does (though Thea is a better Canary choice than Laurel at the moment).....nice to see Speedy be on her way to joining the team too

I just love Barrowmann too much as an actor to see him fail and have to die or leave the show for a while....unless he goes back to Dr Who....then chop him to pieces :D

We didn't get a lot of Ray in this episdoe though did we?