Flash/Arrow Spinoff speculation

Talk about The CW's Arrow!
Starsaber
Flash/Arrow Spinoff speculation

Post by Starsaber » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:30 am

There's a lot of speculation and not many facts about the Flash/Arrow spinoff that is casting now.

What we know:
The following actors/characters who have previously appeared in Arrow and the Flash have been confirmed as appearing in this show:
Brandon Routh/ Ray Palmer (The Atom)
Victor Garber/ Martin Stein (Half of Firestorm
Caity Lotz/ ?
Wentworth Miller/ Leonard Snart (Captain Cold)
Dominic Purcell/ Mick Rory (Heatwave)

The following new characters will be making probably their first appearances in the series:
Arthur Darvill/ Rip Hunter
Ciara Renee/ Kendra Saunders (Hawkgirl)

I have a few theories about what the show could be:
1) Flashpoint miniseries - This was my first thought about what this could be. As either a season or midseason cliffhanger, Barry goes back in time and successfully saves his mom. He comes back to the present to find out that there were massive changes while he was away. This would be an Agent Carter-style miniseries that would show the state of the world after those changes. This would explain Caity Lotz being brought in as Sara, since in this timeline, perhaps she wasn't killed by Thea/Malcolm.

2) Justice League Unlimited Anthology show - This cast seems rather large and has at least one role still being cast, and there are very few obvious connections between cast members. This could be a series or miniseries in an anthology style like the Justice League Unlimited cartoon where either the episodes are standalone or in 2-3 episode arcs, each with a different cast. Some examples:
* DC Science Bros - The Atom/Firestorm teamup
* Rogues - Following Captain Cold/Heatwave doing a heist in another city (perhaps a leadup to a later appearance in Flash)
* League of Assassins - Sara and other League members (perhaps Nyssa, even though she hasn't been announced for the show) on a mission in her missing few years
There could be some kind of connecting thread among the various storylines to build up to an epic crossover of all the characters.

3) Rip Hunter, Defender of the Timestream - This would be along the lines of the Booster Gold series that ran from 2007 to 2011. In that series, Rip Hunter was sort of the Star Labs/Felicity type command and control for Booster Gold, identifying attempts by various parties to change the timeline, dispatching him to significant events in DC history to ensure the integrity of time. The TV series would simplify this with Rip (possibly with a portable AI like Gideon in the Wells flashbacks this week) detecting situations where the timeline has changed and going to those times to minimize the damage, encountering various heroes/villains (and probably having something like the MIB "flashy thing" so they don't remember him).

All of these ideas involve time travel in one way or another to explain Sara being alive. If she is brought back to life (again) in Arrow or brought in as another character, that would open some other options. Rip Hunter is a time traveller, so I consider that option the most likely.
Consultant Black Adam of Legends of SHIELD

stargatepioneer

Re: Flash/Arrow Spinoff speculation

Post by stargatepioneer » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:25 am

This is fascinating. But with the announce that Deadshot is off the table I'm tentative to get too excited over more DC television. But am I in the
minority in that view?

Starsaber

Post by Starsaber » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:30 am

stargatepioneer wrote:This is fascinating. But with the announce that Deadshot is off the table I'm tentative to get too excited over more DC television. But am I in the
minority in that view?
One thing like that may be an anomaly. Or it may even be for different reasons than we think. If it becomes a pattern, I'll have problems with it, but I'd like more information before I get too upset about it.

For example, Smallville was running at the same time Superman Returns came out, so I doubt they'll cancel The Flash because of a movie, especially if it continues to be as successful as it is now. However, due to the ongoing movies, they were never able to have Batman appear on the show (and brought in Green Arrow instead).
Consultant Black Adam of Legends of SHIELD

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:22 pm

Some characters had to die, just to keep the show believable.....theres also a chance that the Lazarus Pit
comes into play here as well, it's one bad thing about announcing crossover shows like this so far ahead of time, it could be spoiler-ish but it does add to the guessing :)

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:28 pm

Plus to me I can't get over the fact that Rory the Centurion gets to be all timey whimey on his own now :D

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:09 pm

I'm similar to SP that I'm going to wait to get excited because they pulled the the suicide squad off the table for CW. I really hope that this is the only time they do this as I'd hate to get attached to a character in this spin-off and then it gets yanked.

With that said, I kind of like seeing Atom on Arrow, but it does make for a bit of a full-plate on the show.

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:53 pm

The thing is they're rotating the secondary characters nicely between Arrow and Flash so there's not much a need to worry about the Atom's and Firestorm's taking up too much camera time, it's quite nice how both shows smoothly flow into each other but keep their own......

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:34 am

I agree... While the first cross over felt a bit forced at time, they've nicely bounced back and forth this last run of the seasons and it's working great.