How excited is everyone?

For all things related to Fox's Gotham TV show.
Stephen
How excited is everyone?

Post by Stephen » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:20 pm

I personally can't wait. The more I see the more I hope it doesn't get the Fox treatment lol

Starsaber

Re: How excited is everyone?

Post by Starsaber » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:29 am

Eh, it was OK. Procedurals aren't really my kind of show, but I'm going to give it a couple weeks.

In terms of the comic references, I liked Nigma. Ivy didn't need to be there at all. We haven't seen much of Selina yet, but they're still beating us over the head with the "She's going to be Catwoman" stick. Penguin made sense to be set up as a major player, but I'm a bit iffy on the character.

Liked them introducing so many well-known Gotham PD characters right off the bat, but I have a hard time seeing Richard Kind in any kind of serious role after Stargate Atlantis (in fact, after that role, I'd prefer not to see him at all).
Consultant Black Adam of Legends of SHIELD

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:08 am

It seemed like the threw a LOT at us there.....but it was in that 'well you know these guys are here....so here they are'.... kinda way.....let's see how it does now that the formalities are out of the way and they can get down to storytelling.....

NeilIsntWitty

Post by NeilIsntWitty » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:23 pm

Not really blown away by the pilot, but that's okay as it opens up some options going forward since all the characters have been introduced.

I was hoping to see slightly slower burn re: "how" they became the classic bat-universe villains, instead of calling Cobblepot "penguin" right off the bat and breaking his knees in the first episode to change his gait. Also, the city just seemed like New York, and not Gotham in a lot of the scenes - if the pilot was to introduce us to the characters, and Gotham is a major character (as in the last couple of Gotham nightline 'casts), I'm not sure it got much of an physical intro. The Falcone part was the closest to giving us an insight into how complex relationships within the city are, and I'd like to think that the Falcone scene was setting up some interesting dichotomy (criminals who love the city v. cops/politicians who are ambivalent) and/or conflict going forward. At the end I can see lines being drawn not on good vs. bad or law vs. crime, but on who believes the city is worth saving.

That said, I'm hoping that the writers have a solid arc up their sleeves, so I'll continue to watch.
Formerly Amberite, but probably not Nellie or Nelson. I'd probably answer to either tho.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:16 pm

Wow I thought judging from Twitter I'd be the only one down on the show... Honestly here's my biggest issue w last night... Swap out the Batman names and it would be an interesting pilot for a crime drama show.

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:35 am

I don't want to judge it off one episode....they're opening us up to a new....and unexplored world.....in the Bat-Universe....it might take time to settle and find its way... God I hope it does it faster then Intruders has....

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:19 am

Yea I really was let down w the use of the property in the first episode

Scott the Hockey Guy

Post by Scott the Hockey Guy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Watched it again with Jamie last night (in between Dr Who and agents of SHIELD)....still wasn't blown away and I'm gonna be pissed if the stand up comic in the bar ends up being the Joker....then it's just almost TOO cliche and forcing these people to be intertwined from the get-go.....

maybe we get lucky and get a Gotham MCU spin-off.....now I'm asking for too much :p

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:26 pm

My father in law thought he was the Riddler but I pointed out Nygma, I didn't think about Joker. I actually thought he was just a bad actor but the Joker could make it elsewise. Not that I'd like to see him as the Joker. One of the biggest things I can't wait to see in ep two is if there are as many time inconsistencies as there were in the pilot. That left me feeling very disoriented.

Aset

Post by Aset » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:39 pm

Let me start by saying, other than the basic brushstrokes of Batman's origins, I know next to nothing about the rest of the universe. I also enjoy procedurals.

That said, I think it has potential. It is by no means perfect, but pilots rarely are. In fact the first 6 episodes of anything are rarely what a show ends up being. I think this has some serious potential. I'm interested enough to continue watching for now. I do wish they had made the Wayne's moreobviously integral to the running of the city. As usual, they are rich people with some vague connection so some vague foundation that as far as any outsider can tell, does....something. Give them some weight, add some meat to an origin story that has been done to DEATH.
Jeannie
Fire and Blood
http://tyrionslanding.com