GonnaGeek.com Podcast - #079 - JS Operates on Apple

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:55 am

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

This show we chat about how John's addicted to Community, how Marvel photoshopped the Dark Horse back catalog and how BlackBerry loves to tweet from their iPhone. After this we introduce a new segment called ON THE OPERATING TABLE WITH DOCTOR JS and first up: Apple.

Want to chime in for a future show? Tweet @gonnageek, email podcast@gonnageek.com or like us at Facebook.com/Gonnageek.

[display_podcast]

Show Note 1: Marvel Photoshops Darkhorse

NeilIsntWitty

Post by NeilIsntWitty » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:09 am

Hey guys, regarding Netflix competitors in Canardia..

You've probably noticed that there's actually two new services out there. Shomi and CraveTV. The big thing that neither one advertises is that right now, they're both tethered to cable subscriptions.

What does this tell us? Well, for one, that the cable companies want some of that sweet sweet Netflix cash. But more importantly, that they're probably terrified of cable cutters that don't know how to use a US proxy server or VPN.

Shomi is positioning at the C$8.99/month to be a Netflix clone, but with "better" movies, and shows not available on Netflix Canada like Sons of Anarchy. BUT Shomi is tethered to people who have a Rogers or Bell cable package. That's how terrified they are of cable cutters. One interesting point is that Shomi should be launching as an App on the Rogers and Bell cable boxes, and any data streamed on those don't count towards your monthly downstream data cap.

CraveTV by comparison is only C$4.99/month, and is differentiating itself from Netflix by being a "premium TV" offering. By focusing primarily on TV, they keep the costs down. BUT CraveTV is tethered to a Bell, Telus or Eastlink cable subscription. Again, they're terrified of cable cutters. What's concerning is that Crave negotiated exclusive Canadian rights (yup, exclusive) to off-air HBO series. So, if HBOGo launches in Canada, it could be severely neutered. Since Crave is linked to CTV, it also has the rights to Agents of Shield, ARROW and Person of Interest, and Grimm, which are not on Canardian Netflix. Keep in mind that Canadians are blocked from watching shows on the CW or ABC web sites, and cant get HULU or Amazon streaming, so this is the only digital way to stream these shows. Crave also shows that SPACE has/had the rights to (BSG, Caprica, Orphan Black) are on Crave, and not on Netflix. Crave also has the rights to show certain Canadian (i.e. CTV) original programming one day early, as well as the only NorthAmerican streaming rights to Seinfeld. But honestly, who cares.

Ultimately, this is a desperate attempt by the Canadian cable companies who are trying everything in their power to slow Netflix, and stop HBO-Go or HULU from penetrating the Canadian market, and from making cable-cutting a simple option. Combined with a potentially fractured streaming landscape with multiple services driving up the cost to the same as cable, and all potentially viable alternatives being tethered to cable anyways, it's only the tech-savy consumer that loses.
Last edited by NeilIsntWitty on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Amberite, but probably not Nellie or Nelson. I'd probably answer to either tho.

StephenJ
Site Admin

Re: GonnaGeek.com Podcast - #079 - JS Operates on Apple

Post by StephenJ » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:56 am

I'm glad you brought these points up, they really irritated me too how they're exclusive. The best part about it is I'm with Shaw, and really telus is the only other feasible option here, but they told me they only offer 10mbps at my house... And my subdivision is new!

I personally think if either of these want to try to rival Netflix they have to open them up. I'm can't get them now but I might consider if it were available to me.

I hate using terms like this.. But this is so typical Canadian cable mindset

NeilIsntWitty

Re: GonnaGeek.com Podcast - #079 - JS Operates on Apple

Post by NeilIsntWitty » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:55 pm

Yeah. We switched from Shaw to Telus a few years ago so Shomi is out.

I can't see how at 4.99 Crave can be profitable, so I bet it's primarily about not losing subscribers on a break even basis. It's interesting that this week Cdn Netflix lost the rights to Twin Peaks... the same week it pops up on Crave. All three are probably going to fight over content. I thought this was worth mentioning because of the Legends guys talking about it recently and the pending relaunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Formerly Amberite, but probably not Nellie or Nelson. I'd probably answer to either tho.